Wendy McCarthy AO is an experienced company director whose portfolio extends across business, government and the not for profit sector. Her first experience of corporate governance was in 1974 when she became a non-executive director of The Family Planning Association of NSW and throughout her long executive life she has enjoyed combining executive and non-executive roles.
Her first role as Chair in 1989 was a statutory authority The National Better Health Program which had diverse membership spread nationally and involved considerable representational work internationally. She was at that time the Deputy Chair of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation a position she occupied for 8 years and in her first 3 years there she acted as Chair for approximately 6 months.
It was a steep learning curve.
Since then she has been the Chair of many diverse organisations including:
- headspace – the National Yotuh Mental Health Foundation
- McGrath’s Realse Estate Agents
- Pacific Friends of the Global Fund
- WHO Kobe Centre for Health Promotion and Research (based in Kobe, Japan)
- Symphony Australia
- Plan International Australia- a child focussed international aid agency
- The Australian Heritage Commission
- NSW Health Participation Council
- Advertising Accreditation Board
- Chancellor, University of Canberra (the Chair by another name)
Her current portfolio includes:
- Chair, Circus Oz
- Deputy-Chair, Goodstart Early Learning Pty Ltd
- Non-executive director, IMF Bentham
The mentoring practice she founded in 1998 and which her daughter now owns and manages often mentors company directors.